Q Planes (1939) – Historical Influences
Join Dan and Tom as they Crack of Code of the history that surrounded & impacted directly the making of the 1939 movie, Q Planes (Clouds Over Europe).
Our first podcast on Q Planes called, Q Planes (Clouds Over Europe) is an analysis of the movie, scene by scene. In this new podcast, a different approach is taken, looking at historical events (the oncoming of World War Two, etc.) that directly affected the making of the film, looking at some very interesting connections!
The real world does find its way into spy movies!
- Episode Notes
Some of the items we discuss are:
- How the British Secret Service was involved with this movie
- How the movie was made to try to influence the United States from it’s neutral stance on Germany
- How a phrase by Lord Horatio Nelson made its way into the movie
- How the newspaper headlines in the movie are reflective of real 1938 headlines raising alarm of the British people
- How the characters were created to portray different classes of people
- How a scene with an American showgirl may have been made to make some not-so-flattering impressions about Americans
- How this movie influenced the TV show “The Avengers”
- The many ways this movie influenced the James Bond series of movies
- Some similarities to The 39 Steps
- and more …