From Russia with Love
From Russia With Love is the 5th Ian Fleming James Bond 007 novel (1957), 2nd EON Productions James Bond 007 film (1963).
In this curation of the movie, we talk about other movies as they relate to From Russia With Love and lots of other insights into the scenes like:
- The Pre-title sequence is unique – and we discuss the use of masks here, and how The List of Adrian Messenger, and later Mission: Impossible TV series and movies use masks.
- President Kennedy boosts Ian Fleming book sales
- No throwbacks
- Cats in films
- Istanbul – Klebb demonstrates same-sex tendencies
- Bring on the gadgets
- Mission: Impossible versus Bond
- On location at some film sites
- AR-7 rifle specs
- Bond and Tania sex talk
- On location at the Blue Mosque
- Bosphorus River Ferry
- Fight to the death on the Orient Express
- Other movies mentioned here in relation to From Russia With Love: The 39 Steps, The Spy Who Loved Me, SPECTRE, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, North by Northwest, Quantum of Solace
- SpyMovieNavigator on location in Scotland
- SPECTRE – a job for life. . .
- Venice gondola scenes and Venice canals, Bridge of Signs, – a discussion of potential meanings
... read more
When Ian Fleming wrote From Russia With Love, the Soviet Union had not yet launched Sputnik, the first satellite ever put into space.
But by October 4th, 1957, Sputnik was successfully launched which began the official space race between the then Soviet Union and the United States – so the subject matter of the film was very much on everyone’s mind worldwide – what will happen in space, and what will tensions between the US and the Soviet Union bring to the world. Another great choice by EON Productions to produce this film in 1963.
From Russia with Love is the second EON Productions entry into the film series and it is an outstanding film. Many choose From Russia With Love as one of their favorite James Bond movies. And we have to agree – this is definitely is one of our top 5 Bond films ever made by EON Productions because of the screenplay, the cast, and just how well the story unfolds before our eyes. This is a top-notch Bond! James Bond.
Always check our podcast page and be sure to subscribe through your favorite provider – Look for SpyMovieNavigator and Subscribe!
Bond lands in Istanbul – After leaving M’s office, knowing that he is Istanbul-bound, he signs the photograph that M wants back and gives it to Miss Moneypenny with the inscription, “With Love” to which Bond adds above it, “From Russia!” Notice Moneypenny’s face – looking longingly at Bond. All the Connery movies have this…
We know very little about SPECTRE at this point, but this scene highlights how brutal and unforgiving SPECTRE is, and we get a glimpse of # 1, albeit from shoulders down, as he is stroking a white cat, as we flashback to the cat that walked by Tania as she was on her way to meet Kleb for the first time.